Welcome to Highly Capable Program
It is the policy of the Granger School District to provide optimum learning opportunities for all students including those who are gifted/highly capable. The Highly Capable Program is intended to provide support for students identified as requiring services beyond the normal learning environment to be successful. Highly capable students are identified following WA State Definition of Gifted Students:
WAC 392-170-035 Definition - Students Who Are Highly Capable
- Students who perform or show potential for performing significantly advance academic levels when compared with others of their age, experiences, or environments.
- Outstanding abilities are seen with students' general intellectual aptitudes, specific academic abilities, and/or creative productivities within specific domains.
WAC 392-170-36 Definition - Learning Characteristics
- Capacity to learn with unusual depth of understanding, to retain what has been learned, and to transfer learning to new situations.
- Capacity and willingness to deal with increasing levels of abstraction and complexity earlier than their chronological peers.
- Creative ability to make unusual connections among ideas and concepts.
- Ability to learn quickly in their area(s) of intellectual strength.
- Capacity for intense concentration and/or focus.
The office of K-12 Highly Capable Programs, the District Administrative Team, and the K-12 Highly Capable Committee provide a continuum of services for identified highly capable students. The K-12 Committee is composed of parents, teachers, administrators and other representatives.